Cold asphalt is composed of stone materials, mixed bitumen or bitumen emulsion. The raw materials of this asphalt are mixed at room temperature and are prepared by combining soluble aggregates and bitumen. If the mixture is made using bitumen, the ambient temperature can be humid.
Advantages of cold asphalt
1. This type of asphalt can be transported over very long distances and then used.
2. Cold asphalt is used in all paving operations.
3. Cold asphalt can also be stored in a workshop or warehouse so that it can be used whenever needed.
Application of cold asphalt
This asphalt is used in three cases:
1. In road construction: if all design criteria and criteria and traffic restrictions of the route are observed; It can be said that cold asphalt is used in all pavement layers. The use of this asphalt in the surface layer is done in light or medium traffic conditions and its implementation in heavy traffic is also done as the base layer.
If cold asphalt is used as a surface layer in a place where there is little traffic and it comes out of this state (ie heavy traffic also takes place on the site), a layer of hot asphalt coating must be used in that direction. The reason for this is to prevent breakdowns.
2. In maintenance and repair of pavements: One of the basic operations to maintain roads is staining pavement defects. Staining operations can be performed using cold depot mixtures.
This type of asphalt can also be used for staining, filling road paves and filling existing cracks. In this regard, both types of cold asphalt can be used, which are two types of immediate and non-immediate cold asphalt, both of which can be used for staining and pavement repairs.
3. In other cases such as the floor of sports venues
Execution of cold asphalt
Production and preparation of cold asphalt mixture is done in two ways: mixing in the factory and mixing on site, each of which is explained below:
1. Mixing cold asphalt on site: In this method, mixing bitumen and materials can be done in different ways. Examples include mobile mixing, rotary mixing, grader mixing, and recycling using recycling devices.
This method is used to strengthen and stabilize the pavement and use its benefits on site. These materials, which are mixed on site, are transported to the operation site and spun or piled in the required amount on the road surface.
The distance between the mounds of stone materials should be such that the amount of bitumen to be spread on it can be determined from it. Note that the road surface must be thoroughly cleaned and prepared for working asphalt before using and applying cold asphalt.
Bitumen is spread according to the required amount and calculated by bitumen spraying machine or mobile mixing machine on spun materials.
Note that the speed of movement should be such that the amount of bitumen in the asphalt mixture is within the tolerance range. Note that the application of cold asphalt mixture on site should not be used in cold weather.
Using this type of asphalt should be used in the season when the weather is hot and dry. Another important point here is that after asphalting in this way for three months, the air should remain warm and dry.
Spreading with a special asphalt machine has higher speed and efficiency and also paves the surface more evenly. The advantage of playing with a grader is that with it, there is no risk of tearing.
2. Factory cold asphalt mix: In this type of mix, cold asphalt is combined with emulsion bitumen or prefabricated cold asphalt. The advantages of this type of cold asphalt are as follows:
This type of asphalt, especially in remote areas where a project is being carried out; are being used.
Non-polluting: Factory cold asphalt mix has no contaminants other than dust.
In some cases, the asphalt needs to be cut to make better use of it. To do this, there is a device called an asphalt cutter.
Uses of this versatile device can be cutting the surface of concrete or asphalt roads, digging asphalt in small sections for civil works such as cabling, piping and repairing the asphalt surface.
An asphalt cutter should have the following characteristics, which we will introduce and review:
1. Asphalt cutter should have an engine with high power and power.
2. It is better that the asphalt cutter has a protective frame for the engine. The reason for the existence of this frame is its advantages, for example, we can mention the greater strength of the engine, reducing vibrations caused by engine performance, preventing dust from entering the engine and increasing the life of the engine.
3. It is necessary that the device is equipped with a washable water tank to cool the blade.
4. Must have a blade frame so that dust from the operation of the device is not sprayed around the device.
5. Occasionally there may be sudden accidents that require an emergency shutdown key to prevent them.
6. Note that the asphalt cutter that you prepare is equipped with adjustable and ergonomic handles.